Saturday 20 November 2010

Why I love the Archers

I’m in my early twenties,  and though I’ve never been one of those ‘popular’ people, I’m human enough to have managed to get myself a boyfriend, a career (of sorts) and a handful of friends. And yet people look at me with horror and revulsion when I admit that I listen to the Archers.

I love the Archers, truly. I even love the jaunty theme tune – better still, the strange sea shanty version that comes with Sunday's omnibus.

The reason why, is that it is so unlike the hyper-reality of soaps such as Eastenders and Hollyoaks. In ordinary soaps, murder, blackmail and adultery are a daily occurrence; in the Archers this week the most controversial thing to happen was a spot of gambling – all in aid of the British Legion, of course. The safe, rural realms of Ambridge are like a great big emotional hug when you’re feeling world-weary. If I want violence and all the nastiness of the human race, I’ll turn on News 24 and catch it up in one go – I don’t need to be drip-fed five days a week in thirty minute slots. The Archers, on the other hand, is pure, unadulterated escapism.

No comments:

Post a Comment